Director of Field Engineering - Mid-Atlantic
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 202 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Direct and provide oversight for 24/7 field engineering activities in the Mid-Atlantic region, including customer turn-up, network maintenance, augmentation and repair.
- Drive the implementation of network expansion.
- Provide coordination for the rollout of network updates and equipment augments with customers, engineering groups, and the operations.
- Maintain proficiency in up-to-date technological developments in power systems, telecommunications infrastructure, fiber, CWDM and DWDM technologies.
- Work with Engineeringto provide field perspective for network deployment, as well as to provide expertise in deployments.
- Provide leadership to Field Engineers, Managers and Technicians
- Ensure technical compentency of each and every field manager and technician.
- Provide hands-on leadership as needed and during network events.
Qualifications:budgeting, project management, leadership experience, able to travel 50%, engineering degree or equivalent
- High-energy management and coaching abilitites. High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate employees and elicit output.
- Strong working knowledge of network architectures, long hault transport technologies, metro transport technologies, and telecom infrastructure.
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Highly developed written and verbal skills
- Successful project management experience
- 10+ years of telecommunications expereince involving a geographically distributed network including 3+ years management experience.
- Experience managing vendors, carriers, colocation centers, and remote teams.
- Strategic planning with a high level of sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgement and strong operational focus.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, certifications, or training.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.