IP Edge Network Engineer - Washington, DC
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 199 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
- Configure network devices to support customer connections.
- Interfacing with various internal departments to facilitate the testing and turn up of customer circuits.
- Escalation point for certain requests from our Customer Support Team.
- Support Sales engineers on an ad hoc basis.
- Maintain cleanliness of the network by removing customer configurations of terminated accounts.
- Develop appropriate standards and practices and ensure that they are documented, maintained and applied to all projects and services.
- Perform other duties or special projects as requested.
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals and IP Subnetting
- Familiarity with IRR functionality and the five RIRs
- Highly detail oriented and motivated.
- Advanced level hands-on experience with Switching, Routing, Ethernet architectures Including: Ethernet (10/100/1000/10000/100000) technologies, Routers and Switches, Spanning Tree, BGP, VPLS, EoMPLS
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, goal and team-oriented environment.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, under tight deadlines, often with competing priorities and complexities and with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform problem isolation and troubleshooting in complex environments
- Ability to adjust plans as necessary and provide alternative strategies to meet changing business needs
- Ability to understand new technologies
- Working knowledge of MS Windows (7)
- Working knowledge of Unix OS (both BSD/linux) applications
- Three years Operations and/or Network engineering in an ISP environment
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent of education, technical certifications/training or work experience.
Hardware/Software Platforms in use:
- Cisco products
- Routers/Switches: 2600, 2900, 3550/3750, ME3400, 7600/6500, 7200, ASR9K
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.