Field Engineer - UK & Ireland
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 199 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment.
- Responsible for network field activity on Cogent network Long haul and metro in UK and Ireland including datacenter operations in Cogent owned datacenters
- Turn-up and test new customer circuits
- Implementation of long haul and metro network
- Management of contractors and providers
- Work with Network Planning to provide Field perspective to network deployment as well as to provide expertise in deployments
- Maintain proficiency in up-to-date technological developments in electrical power systems (AC and DC), telecommunications infrastructure, fiber, CWDM and DWDM technologies
- 5+ years experience of telecommunications networks and 5+ years of field experience with DWDM / IP networks
- Working knowledge of network architectures and telecom infrastructure
- Experience in the use of optical testing equipment, including optical power meters (OPM – OLS), OTDRs and OSAs, and interpretation of test results
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- High-energy individual with interpersonal skills to work effectively with others, motivate peers, and drive project to completion
- Experience managing vendors and carriers
- Experience on daily operations of a data center (Diesel Generator, UPS, HVAC)
- Familiarity with telco operations
- Experience with AC and DC electrical power systems
- Successful project management experience
Reporting: This position reports to the Director of Field Operations.
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.