Customer Support Engineer - Washington, DC
Cogent Communications is a multinational, Tier 1 facilities-based ISP, consistently ranked as one of the top five networks in the world and is publicly traded on the NASDAQ Stock Market under the ticker symbol CCOI. Cogent specializes in providing businesses with high speed Internet access and point-to-point transport services. Cogent's facilities-based, all-optical IP network backbone provides IP services in over 199 markets globally. Since its inception, Cogent has unleashed the benefits of IP technology, building one of the largest and highest capacity IP networks in the world. This network enables Cogent to offer large bandwidth connections at highly competitive prices. Cogent also offers superior customer support by virtue of its end-to-end control of service delivery and network monitoring. Cogent offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package that takes effect within 30 days of employment. Matching 401k and stock options are also included.
Cogent is looking for a Customer Support Engineer that will be based out of our Washington, DC Headquarters. They will be a member of a team that works directly with Cogent's customers via phone and e-mail to respond to and resolve their service related issues. This position requires an individual with good verbal and written communication skills, who is self-motivated and is able to work in a fast paced dynamic environment.
- Answer incoming phone calls from Cogent's customers on their Layer 1, 2, and 3 services.
- Work with Cogent customers via phone and e-mail to indentify and resolve their service related issues.
- Clearly document all steps taken to identify and resolve a customer reported issue.
- Manage a queue of customer created tickets, ensuring that customers are updated with their status and progress is being made towards resolving their issue.
- Work with and coordinate effectively with all members of the Customer Support team, other Cogent teams, as well as vendors in order to ensure swift resolution of customer issues.
- Ability to work professionally with customers, vendors, and internal groups under all circumstances.
- Manage customer expectations and escalation and de-escalate the situation as necessary.
- Perform other duties or special projects as assigned.
- The ideal candidate must possess a B.S. degree in Computer Science or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications/training, or work experience.
- Cisco equipment experience and certifications (CCNA) will be highly valued.
- Strong technical knowledge in the area of networking (TCP/IP), IP protocols (BGP, IGP, OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS...), IP addressing, DNS's and IP-VPN's is desired.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and desire to provide excellent customer service to Cogent Customers.
- Must excel in a fast-paced, dynamic environment where critical thinking and strong problem solving skills are required for success.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Reliable employment history with strong attendance and punctuality records.
- Availability to work on a shift including one Weekend day. (Flexibility a MUST).
Cogent Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer.